People love images. I do too. A picture is worth a thousand words. Here are picture galleries of the work in progress that I will be updating on a regular basis. Think of this as an annotated graphical synopsis of the project. People on the go, like me, will find it pleasurable to just scan through the images without having to peruse the details.
I am starting to deviate from the original plan. The logo and fret markers are inlaid Mother of Pearl. Here are a couple of snapshots:
Inlaying decorative shells such as Mother of Pearl (MOP) and Abalone takes time, patience and perseverance to master. The craft involve:
- Cutting suitable shells into blanks
- Grinding the shell blanks down to a flat surface
- Cutting the blanks into the desired shape
- Routing the cavity from the wood
- Inlaying the shell into the routed-out cavity
Binding the guitar using stainless steel proved to be very tricky. This is the first time I used stainless steel as binding material.The stainless steel strips are glued in using epoxy formulated for bonding metal and wood.
I found this article in the web offering a different approach to fret installation, cutting a wider fret slot and using epoxy to hold the fret. The fret’s tang must be trimmed at the ends using an end-cutter. Epoxy is injected into the slots and the frets are clamped using a clamping caul.
I still have to write more documentation. I am terribly lagging behind. I’ll definitely have more time in April. Anyway, for now, here are some high resolution pictures.Compare these against the original 3D images.
(Click to zoom)