Cycfi’s new baby is coming very soon: A full-range, semi-modular pickup: Modula. If you haven’t heard about this yet, go check out the New Breed of Pickups post. These aesthetically pleasing, sleek Lo-Z multi-coil pickups were designed from the ground up based on our experience with the Nu and XR pickups. This baby sports dual-coil humbucking with dual rails design for each module and powered by a fully balanced, high headroom rail-to-rail output (5v to 18v), low-noise preamplifier.
Category Archives: Modula Series
What do you get when you cross the Nu and the XR? The Modula. Our new baby: A full-range, semi-modular pickup that can be used for just about any guitar or bass. Yeah, finally the bass! So far, the results of our tests have been very positive. We applied what we learned over the years from the development of the Nu and the XR and the result is no less than outstanding!
Presenting the Modula
- Modular. Three module types can accommodate all guitars and basses.
- Aesthetically pleasing, sleek, modern design.
- Allows arbitrary placement, either straight or angled.
- Traditional mono or (custom) stereo split configuration.
- Lo-Z full frequency response. The blank canvas.
- Tweakable passive tone-blocks emulates all known pickups.
- Fully balanced, low-noise preamplifier. High headroom Rail-to-Rail output (5v to 18v).
- Dual-coil humbucking, dual rails design for each module. Quad coils for a single coil (Strat-style) pickup. Octa (8) coils for a full-width (PAF-style) pickup.
I’ll post more information as this project evolves. I value feedback. The Nu and the XR projects started from online forums, fueled by feedback from people all over the world. I invite you to come and join our facebook forum. Be involved in the discussions that will shape Modula’s future design and implementation.
Here are two pictures of an early prototype for a six string guitar. There are two modules for each 3-string group, reminiscent of the Fender precision bass pickup. Click to zoom in.